Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Quick Prep

So... Goals being stated, I'd hate to find that after all this thinking, something happened soon and I was too busy putting together a plan rather than acting.  So last evening, I did a sort of "quick prep".

Water:

I found the Deer Park website that offered a nice discount ($50 off) for a first delivery and ordered 10 cases of bottled water in a couple of sizes that we have found usable on the boat, along with a small amount of distilled water (always useful around the house) and it will get delivered early next week.





We had previously purchased a case or two (~ 5 -10 gal) in getting the boat ready, and we usually go through a couple of cases in a boating season.  Once delivered and assuming one case will get sent right to the boat, we'll have...

57 Gal of water (near enough to FEMA's suggestion of 1 gal/day to cover 2 people for a month.

I'll talk more in another post about other potential sources of water I have available to me.

Food:

I decided to approach the food from end to start.  My plan states to start with just an extra week from the normal groceries, supplement with cans and other shelf stable items for mid-term and finish with a supply of freeze dried.  For my "quick prep", I looked into freeze dried food and purchased one each of the three "Just In Case" buckets from Mountain House (a brand I remembered from our camping days years ago).  That gives me a total of 40 pouches (I'll assume a pouch is a meal for one, but they could be shared in a pinch).





40 Pouches of Mountain House at 3 meals/day is 13.3 days of food for one person (or two if shared).

I chose the buckets because they should be easily transportable.  (If we need to grab and go, that will make it easier.)  I will expand on freeze dried food in a future post.

Comfort/Hygiene/First Aid:

We are fairly well equipped on small scale first aid (Band-Aids, Ibuprofen, tweezers, etc.), so I'm not too worried for the short term - we can always do better, but I have time to think.

My wife tells me I'm obsessed with toilet paper and of course that was the first thing I purchased in this category.  Since we were at Costco to get these items, I threw in extra cases of TP, Tissues and a few extra rolls of paper towels to get started.

Cost so far:

About $350 for the items mentioned above.  Could I get more/dollar if I tried?  Yes, of course, but as I say on my sailing blog... heartbeats (time) are more precious than money for me right now.

For this amount, I have a month supply of water (and with a few small purchases, water will be mostly solved for the prepping I intend to do - see a future post about that), a week or two worth of food, and I know I'll be able to wipe when needed.  (I'm referring to my nose - with the tissues... get your mind out of the gutter.)

In the coming days, I'll think more on these three categories and look ahead at next steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment