Monday, April 10, 2017

Why blog on Reasonable Prepping?

Hi!

First, if you've come to this blog via a google search or something like that and hope to see something about guns or ammo or arsenals or safe rooms, etc. (all the stuff that seems associated with "Prepping"), well then, please move on... there are no guns here.  I'm not a gun sort of person, so let me save you some time.

OK,

That being said, hi, I'm George.  I think of myself as an average middle age fat guy... early 50s, decent education, nice corporate job.  I'm a chemist by training but now working for a scientific instrument manufacturer as a software product manager.  My main hobbies are photography and sailing... definitely not prepping.  My politics are (I feel) middle of the road... to my conservative family in PA, I'm a pinko leftist commie, but to my liberal friends from NJ, I'm a tad right-wing.

Historically, I've been Christian but recently that has become harder to stomach as I continue to see how religion of all types seems to be the root of more problems than it solves.  (I truly hope that doesn't offend you... if so, I'm sorry.)

I live in a really nice suburban home, I drive some nice cars, have a nice boat.  Life for me is... in the words of one of my friends... "stupidly blessed".

It hasn't always been perfect... I've buried a child, a brother and my parents.  I've been through the horrors of the family court system in a divorce, but have come through it and found new love a few years ago.

The name of my boat is Seas The Day and it represents my developing philosophy of life.  Life is great, live it up, be somewhat generous in time and resources, but don't expect it to last.  And when the bottom gets pulled out from under you, remember the words of my PhD advisor - "I'm always amazed at what humans can recover from."  (I will pull through.)

I never really thought about "prepping".

Yea, I've stood in the lines at the grocery store when a storm is approaching with the cart containing bread, milk and eggs (along with a bunch of other stuff).  Don't we all enjoy the french toast when the event passes?

But recently I read this article in The New Yorker, and it touched me somehow.  It's kind of selfish for the elites to all make plans for bunkers and escape flights to New Zealand the second something goes wrong in our society but... what do they know that I don't?  So I've spent the past couple of days googling around freeze dried food, Later Day Saint's sites, pricing out cases of water and the like.

To date, I've purchased double my normal "stock the boat" water supply, tried a package of freeze dried food from Amazon (with some more pouches on the way), started a spreadsheet to collect my thinking, and realized that I have a nice space in the house to set up some stuff for a rainy day.

Speaking of rainy days... what am I preparing for?

I don't know.

Early in our dating life, my wife and I lived through Superstorm Sandy in NJ.  I'm thinking more about things like that rather than the so-called Zombie Apocalypse.

So why blogging?

I've used blogs over the years as a way to organize collect my thoughts and photos.  I have other blogs (some active, some not) on...

A monastery I like to visit

Our travels in China

Our sailing trips

So I see this blog the same way.  Pull my thoughts together on this topic and share it with those interested enough to find it.  When I stop having stuff to post, I'll let it go for a while.

If you're still reading, welcome to my jouney

-George



No comments:

Post a Comment